2011 Preservation Awards


ACHF held the 42nd Annual Preservation Awards and its annual meeting on Monday, June 13, at the historic Fine Arts Theatre on the University of Georgia campus.  Dr. David Saltz of the UGA Department of Film and Theatre Studies welcomed the crowd, and described the condition of the Theatre before its restoration in 2009, which earned it a Preservation Award from ACHF in 2010.
ACHF President Jennifer Lewis and Executive Director Amy Kissane then kicked off the Annual Meeting with an overview of the year’s accomplishments.
Each year ACHF recognizes property owners who have gone above and beyond in caring for and fixing up their historic properties by giving out preservation awards for outstanding historic rehabilitations, restorations, and stewardship. We also recognize outstanding new construction in historic areas (referred to as infill), outstanding publications and programs, and more. Since 1967 the Foundation has given out a total of over 300 awards at its annual spring meetings.  Thanks to everyone who attended!

Albert Dobbs Sams Patron’s Award
Anita Sams Holton and Burke Hodgson

Outstanding Publication or Program
Dr. Al Hester | Enduring Legacy: Clarke County, Georgia’s Ex-Slave Legislators, Madison Davis and Alfred Richardson

Excellence in Community Revitalization
Brian Collantuno and Wesley Russo |Transmetropolitan, 1550 Oglethorpe Avenue
and
Seth Hendershot and Chris Godfrey | Hendershots Coffee, 1560 Oglethorpe Avenue

Jimmy Wilfong | The Ideal Building, 815 W. Broad Street

Outstanding Stewardship
Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity, Georgia Beta Chapter | Ross Crane House, 247 Pulaski Street

Outstanding Rehabilitation Awards
Children First, Inc. | 693 N. Pope Street

Jessica Greene and Jay Totty | Ted’s Most Best, 254 W. Washington Street

UGA Office of University Architects and UGA Athletic Association | Stegeman Coliseum

UGA Office of University Architects | New College

Gamma Phi Beta Sorority, Delta Upsilon Chapter | Charles Phinizy House, 397 S. Milledge Avenue

Outstanding New Construction in a Historic Area Tom and Donna Murphy | Laucher-Murphy House, 440 W. Cloverhurst Avenue

Lori Bork and Quint Newcomer | Bork-Newcomer House, 150 Pulaski Heights

Outstanding Restoration
Sarah and Chris Peterson | Howell Cobb House, 698 N. Pope Street

Trustee of the Year
Jan Levinson

Volunteers of the Year
Alana Cole Faber and Rebecca Hager