2014’s Bells on Bloomfield was one of our most successful galas yet. Just off Milledge Ave. in the Five Points area, the Bloomfield neighborhood has often attracted professors and others associated with the university due its the close proximity to campus. The Bloomfield National Register District is much larger than the area featured in this year’s gala. Bloomfield Street is the central axis of the district, which runs from Rutherford on the south to Peabody on the north. The district is known for its late 19th and early 20th century architecture, and two of the homes featured were designed by noted local architect Frederick J. Orr. The Bloomfield Park, the centerpiece for this year’s gala, was created in 1909 by developer John D. Mell “to be left as a park for the benefit of the abutting lots.” The houses around it were built in the early 20th century — 1910s along Cloverhurst Terrace, 1920s along Wilcox and 1930s along Cloverhurst Place. The park is considered county property under an Adopt Athens agreement with the Bloomfield Neighborhood Association and New Urban Forestry.
Gene and Dev Weeks Home, 183 Mell Street: This 1912, craftsman style, stucco house was built by Dr. John Pendleton Campbell, founder of UGA’s Department of Biology. It has always been a single family residence and was once the home of Dr. Rudie Driftmier, head of UGA’s Ag Engineering Department from 1930- 65 and a significant figure in the development of UGA’s South Campus. The Weeks family became the fourth owners of the house in 1971.
Kim Klonowski and Dean Firschein Home, 125 Wilcox Street: This bungalow was built for Thomas Scott of Scott Hardware in 1921. Abit Massey, the leader of the Georgia Poultry Federation for 48 years, grew up in the home (1930-40). After decades as a rental property and falling into disrepair, Bloomfield neighbors bought the home to prevent demolition. The house received the ACHF historic preservation award for Outstanding Rehabilitation in 2006 and has, once again, become an integral part of the neighborhood.
Molly and Mike Moran Home, 193 Mell Street: This Fred Orr-designed, craftsman-style house celebrates its centenary this year! It was love at first sight for the Morans, who purchased the house in 1988 because it reminded Molly Moran of her grandmother’s old house in Boston with all its nooks, crannies and endearing charm.
Todd Emily Home, 100 Cloverhurst Terrace: This 1916 Tudor Revival home with hints of the Craftsman style was designed by Fred Orr for Dr. Linville Hendren, chair of UGA’s Department of Physics & Astronomy (1908- 37). The interior is distinctly Craftsman with beautiful wood finishes. After purchasing the home in 1996, Emily expanded the grounds to include a beautiful garden retreat, a destination for many gardening enthusiasts.