About the Fire Hall
When the Athens Fire Department closed Fire Hall No. 2 on Prince Avenue in 1979, preservationists feared that the elegant two-story building at the intersection of Hill and Prince would be lost. Built in 1901 on the former site of a black volunteer fire company’s headquarters, the fire hall was the first facility constructed by the city fire department, which had used downtown volunteer company facilities since its organization in 1891.
In November 1979, however, the city council agreed to lease the local landmark to the Athens-Clarke Heritage Foundation. The city made exterior repairs, repointing and painting, while the foundation completely renovated the interior at a cost of $30,000. Original details were repaired and refinished, or reproduced, and new lighting and mechanical systems were installed. Meanwhile, foundation business was conducted in the dust, rubble, and noise of construction.
Mayor Lauren Coile cut the ribbon and officially opened the restored building in the spring of 1981. The fire hall now serves as headquarters and educational center for the foundation. Changing exhibits on preservation and history may be displayed on the first floor, and the upstairs space is used as an office, library, meeting space, and workshop. Other local organizations, too, use the facilities for meeting and work.
The first floor of the fire hall can also be leased for small social events. Click here for rental information.